PHOTO CREDIT: Nina Robinson/Getty Images/Images of Empowerment
Funders for Reproductive Equity (FRE) is committed to advancing reproductive equity and to centering gender and racial justice in its response to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a member-serving organization for funders supporting essential work in these areas—and recognizing that philanthropy is providing critical support to communities, advocates, health care providers, researchers, and governments during this global crisis—FRE is focused on strengthening the philanthropic response to the pandemic.
The COVID-19 pandemic is creating tremendous challenges for reproductive health, rights and justice; exacerbating systemic inequities, including barriers to care and basic necessities; and elevating injustices for front-line workers and marginalized communities at an alarming pace.
This global crisis is exacerbating existing inequalities affecting the most underserved and marginalized communities including trans and cis women, people of color, immigrants and migrants, non-binary and gender non-conforming people, people with disabilities and people struggling economically, among others. Emerging data reflect stark inequities in access to testing and care, with people of color demonstrating dramatically high coronavirus infection rates and being subject to increased policing and surveillance. Sexual and reproductive health, rights and justice are significant public health issues and essential health services requiring high attention during this crisis.
FRE’s COVID-19-related resources are available to our members via the organization’s password-protected, members-only website. For help logging in, please contact FRE’s Operations Director, Narada Lee.
There are many trusted, public sources of quality information regarding COVID-19; its intersection with sexual and reproductive health, rights and justice; and the philanthropic response to the pandemic. FRE is pleased to share a list of recommended public sources below.
FRE extends its best wishes for health, safety and peace to everyone working to support the response to this pandemic.
Recommended sites for information regarding COVID-19; sexual and reproductive health, rights and justice; and philanthropy:
FRE Member Updates and Resources
Note: FRE members, please reach out to FRE Program Director Jacqueline Nolley Echegaray to submit an update for inclusion here.
- Ford Foundation: A Call to Action: Philanthropy’s Commitment During COVID-19
- FRE Supports AAPIP Open Letter to Philanthropy: The Cure to Viral Racism Is Within Our Hands
- Groundswell Fund: How Groundswell is Adapting to the COVID-19 Crisis
- MacArthur Foundation COVID-19 Response
- Open Society Foundations: Helping Those Hit Hardest by COVID-19
- Packard Foundation: A Message to Our Grantee Partners on the Foundation’s COVID-19 Grantmaking Response
- Wallace Global Fund to Spend 20% This Year, Announces Poor People’s Campaign as 2020 Henry A. Wallace Award Recipient
- Women's Foundation of California: Getting Through This Together: Responding to Coronavirus
- UN Foundation: COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund for WHO
Public Health Information and Reports